A return to school also means the return of carpooling duties and the everyday commute involving both school and work. During these long weekdays, your transmission takes a beating from the constant stop-and-go. If you do not invest in transmission repair in Norwalk, OH before these busy times, you may incur one of the more expensive car repairs: a transmission replacement. Here are five signs of a stressed transmission that either needs a fluid flush or a full service.
- Stalling: If it takes an extra few seconds to respond to the accelerator, it is likely your transmission fluid is filthy. Changing out the fluid can eliminate this problem. However, if you notice other issues with your vehicle, it is prudent to have a mechanic give it a thorough check-over in case of something more serious that is not necessarily related to the transmission.
- Surging: Vehicles that suddenly surge forward or fall back for no reason are experiencing problems with transmission fluid flow. This can arise from almost any cause, including clogged lines, dirty fluid or moving parts wearing out.
- Grinding noises: When you hear grinding or other strange noises, your transmission is struggling to do its job. If you are able to stop your vehicle and check the transmission fluid while it is still running, see if it remains bright red, rather than brown or black. The noises often arise from low fluid levels or sludge in your system. Normally a flush will stop this symptom.
- Rough shifting: If every time you shift gears results in a jarring clank that shows metal-on-metal contact, that is slowly wearing out your transmission. Switching out your fluid, or checking for leaks if the levels are low, will smooth out these transitions so your ride is less unsettling. This is one of the symptoms you want checked sooner rather than later, as it can lead to more serious transmission issues later on.
- Slipping gears: Gears slip due to a lack of hydraulic power. Once again, this arises out of there not being enough fluid or the current fluid being dirty. However, if this issue arises in combination with any of the above, make an appointment with your mechanic immediately.
You likely see a pattern here: transmission problems are either very minor or extremely serious. Most issues can be attributed to fluid, which is easily fixed with a system flush. This is your best-case scenario, as this is the easiest procedure when it comes to transmission. If there is a leak in your transmission fluid reservoir or lines, that can also be an easy repair for a professional mechanic. However, if you have an issue that goes beyond the fluid, your choices become more expensive. You can look at a transmission replacement now or find yourself stranded on the road later.
Like any other car part, the transmission will eventually wear out. Hy-Tek Truck & Auto Center in Norwalk, OH offers transmission services to keep your vehicle running well. Call us today to set an appointment before the rush of back-to-school begins.