You may think an auto repair shop cannot be environmentally friendly, but with diligence and dedication, an auto shop—like Hy-Tek Truck & Auto Center, LTD, for instance—can indeed work toward going green. And you too can be more environmentally conscious when performing vehicle maintenance at home. With that in mind, here are some ways you can do your part to protect the environment when it comes time for auto repair in Norwalk, OH, whether you’re doing your own work or taking your vehicle to a shop:
- Use environment-safe solvents: There are all sorts of hazardous chemicals in traditional industrial-grade solvents—these include acetone, methylene chloride and thinners. Instead, non-toxic water-based auto parts cleaners and washing fluids are safer for use by people and can also be disposed of without harming the environment.
- Dispose of motor oil and antifreeze properly: First and foremost, do not dump auto fluids like oil and antifreeze down your indoor or outdoor household drains. If you do change your own engine oil, the best thing to do is contact your county about proper disposal and find out about drop-off sites for these types of hazardous waste.
- Buy used car parts: Just because a vehicle is out of commission doesn’t mean that all its parts are busted. Many used car parts are still good and can be installed in your car at a lower cost when compared to the price of new parts. Alternatively, along with used car batteries and other parts, an auto shop may deem an electrical component, brake part or other salvageable part re-buildable and send it back to the original manufacturer.
- Recycle used tires: Although your tires may no longer be safe to drive on, they can be repurposed or recycled instead of ending up in the landfill. Use old tires as flower planters, to make welcome mats or even create a playground, or let a tire recycling company shred them to be made into new usable products.
- Go to a “green” auto shop: Before scheduling your next tune-up, ask your auto repair shop what they are doing at their business to contribute to protecting the environment. Do they use green cleaning products? How do they dispose of used motor oil? Do they partner with a recycling company instead of taking parts to the landfill? All of these actions can make a small difference in the environment.
- Drive an eco-friendly vehicle: If you’re in the market for a new car, why not get a green one—one that requires little to no gasoline or one that produces fewer pollutants? Lower the harmful effects on the environment and spare the air by investing in a green vehicle, such as an electric car, a hybrid, low-emission vehicle or zero-emission vehicle.
At Hy-Tek Truck & Auto Center, LTD, we have implemented company recycling and environmental programs that strive to protect the environment while keeping our employees safe. When you properly dispose of fluids, recycle auto parts or come to us for auto repair in Norwalk, OH, you can feel good knowing you are doing a part to preserve the environment.