With winter snow, you likely overlook potholes and curbs, but drive over these enough times and you will wreak havoc on your wheel alignment in Norwalk, OH. Call us today if you experience any of these five symptoms and need your tires realigned:
- Recent bumps and loud noises: Most drivers are aware of the moment when they sustained alignment damage. That time you hit a deep pothole or went over the curb when you turned too tight likely misaligned your axles. Unless you were distracted, it is difficult to ignore the uncomfortable impacts and loud sounds. The same is true if you suffered even a minor car accident. Impacts can misalign your front or back axles.
- The steering wheel pulls: This is often the first sign that drivers notice, because it is annoying. It often feels like you are fighting to keep your car or truck moving in a straight line. This happens because uneven alignment pulls to one side. If you feel like you need to overcorrect to stay in the lane, you likely have an alignment problem. This compromises vehicle handling, which is the last thing you need in winter weather. Call us to address this and help you drive safer out there.
- Drifting: Minor alignment issues may not pull, but your car could drift. If you are driving on a straight road and your vehicle starts to move toward the shoulder or another lane, you may have alignment issues. This is not a definite test because the road may have an unnoticeable curve. However, if you recently hit a curb or pothole and notice this happening now, alignment work is a good precaution.
- Uneven tire wear: When your axles are aligned correctly, tire wear is even. However, once you develop alignment issues, most of the wear will concentrate at the edges. You will usually see this more on the front tires than the back ones due to the steering wheel pull. This leads to frequent tire replacements or falling off schedule by replacing front tires before purchasing new rear ones. Rather than continuing to absorb this expense, get your alignment fixed instead.
- Steering wheel vibrates: Highway speeds often produce a steering wheel vibration. This is due to the misaligned wheels pulling against each other. Serious issues often feel like they shake the whole car. If you notice this in conjunction with pulling, arrange to get your alignment examined as soon as possible.
Front end misalignment is more common than back end issues. That is due to your front tires being the first to hit an obstacle. However, a large pothole or high curb can affect all four wheels. When fixing alignment, mechanics adjust wheel angles so they are lined up again. Digital camera systems and measuring tools also assess alignment, so even slight differences are detected.
Hy-Tek Truck & Auto Center, LTD is here to address your issues with wheel alignment in Norwalk, OH. Call us today for an appointment if you are experiencing these symptoms.