If you own a vehicle, then you are familiar with the importance of yearly tune-ups and inspections to keep your car in proper working order, as well as avoid costly repairs. But even though you maintain your automobile, there are some things that are out of your control, or that require maintenance over time. Wheel alignment is a perfect example. Here are a few everyday road hazards that can create problems for your wheel alignment in Norwalk, OH:
- Speed bumps: Speed bumps, humps or tables—you encounter these road structures when driving down side streets in residential neighborhoods and circling parking lots. And while speed bumps may seem like a nuisance, they are necessary to slow down vehicle traffic in areas that see a lot of speeding cars. Watch for speed bump signs placed several feet in front of upcoming bumps so you have time to slow down to the posted speed. If you don’t, and you go too fast over a speed bump, you could shock the underside of your car and throw off your alignment.
- Potholes: Unless there’s a pile of asphalt nearby, you are not likely to see a pothole until it’s too late. From small splits to large missing chunks of road, potholes form in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and most will get bigger as cars continue to drive over them. Protect your vehicle’s wheel alignment by being vigilant on roads, streets and highways and going around potholes when it’s safe to do so.
- Low curbs: Whether in the form of a median or a sidewalk, low curbs have a tendency to blend in with flat asphalt, as well as disappear into shadows. Accidentally jumping a curb while making a turn, drifting into solid lane dividers and hitting square curbs by parking spots are all actions that can lead to not only your alignment being knocked out of whack, but severe tire damage as well.
- Random objects: Couches, buckets, tree branches, rocks and more—things are always falling off of the backs of trucks or rolling in from the side of the road. As drivers, we are not always able to avoid going over or making some sort of contact with a road obstruction. Hitting an object can cause that object to shoot up under your car and bounce around like a pinball, denting and bending wheel components.
- People and animals: Whether you didn’t see someone in the crosswalk or an animal wandering into traffic, you may find yourself in a dangerous situation when you have to take evasive action on the road. Since your car’s internal and external parts work together, slamming hard on your brakes and jerking the steering wheel all over the place can create issues with your wheel alignment.
- Distracted drivers: Car accidents are even more irritating when they are caused by distracted drivers. You didn’t do anything wrong, yet your alignment might suffer in the event of even a small fender bender, much less being involved in a bad collision.
Need a wheel alignment in Norwalk, OH? Visit the team at Hy-Tek Truck & Auto Center, LTD today for the best service in town.