Transmission failure is always a significant trouble in a vehicle, but it can be especially problematic for vehicles with automatic transmission. But how do you know exactly when it’s time to take your vehicle into an auto shop to get your transmission looked at?
Here are a few telltale signs that your vehicle may be in need of transmission repair in Norwalk, OH:
- The transmission slips: The slipping sensation we’re referring to is that when you are driving, the transmission might feel like it suddenly changes gears for no discernible reason. This is typically made even more noticeable by a change in pitch from the engine, or a whining sound that is coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle may also sound like it’s underpowered.
- Shifts become rough: A vehicle with a bad transmission might feel like it does not want to change gears smoothly. Sometimes, the gear might be stuck in a single position, or you might hear a frightening “clunk” sound when the car actually does shift gears. In other situations, the car might have problems getting up to your desired speed. In any of these situations, it’s almost a sure thing that you need to seek out an auto technician for transmission repair.
- Leaking fluids: Your transmission, in its normal state, is a sealed unit that should not leak any fluids. Most people first notice these leaks when they back out of their garage or driveway and see spots on the ground. If you want to be sure these leaks are coming from your car and they are active, put a piece of cardboard down underneath it. Transmission fluid is a bright red color, but might also be slightly darker. If your transmission is leaking fluid, it needs to be repaired as soon as possible.
- Delayed shifts: In this situation, there is a slight delay between when you physically shift the gear and when the car actually registers that shift. For example, you might notice a pause between shifting from “park” to “drive,” where the vehicle refuses to budge. Obviously, this is a problem you need to get fixed as soon as you can.
- Warning lights: Warning lights are not always problems you need to be extremely concerned about in and of themselves, but when they occur in conjunction with any of the other issues on this list, it’s most likely a sign that you are going to need to perform some sort of repairs to your vehicle. A common warning code for transmission problems is P0700, so if you get this warning displayed, you will for sure want to have it checked out by a specialist.
If any of these issues occur, you likely need to take your vehicle in for transmission repair in Norwalk, OH. At Hy-Tek Truck & Auto Center LTD, we are pleased to provide services for all vehicles. Contact us today for more information about our capabilities and to schedule your service appointment. We look forward to assisting you and answering any questions you have.